Coronavirus - our response
2 months ago
Information about how Reading Buses is responding to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Thank you for your continued loyalty and support, especially during these uncertain times. Our thoughts go out to every single one of you who have been affected by this unprecedented situation.
After the government announcements on tough new measures to tackle the outbreak, including only travelling if necessary, we will see a dramatic reduction in numbers of people travelling on our services.
We ask that everyone is patient with us during this extraordinary situation as we try and continue to run essential service, for as long as possible. We are determined to do our bit to keep key workers moving.
Planned services to support critical workers
- We are currently running a reduced service on all routes to enable critical workers to make essential journeys
- We will operate fewer services, but there will still be late evening and very early morning journeys on our normally all day, all night services - but buses will not run through the night but should still provide critical workers with a reliable night option all week.
- Only travel if your journey is absolutely essential, following the latest government advice. If you must travel, please follow the expert advice on washing your hands and keeping your distance from others.
- To help keep our drivers safe and healthy, we have cordoned off the closest seats to the driver’s cab. This is to ensure that our drivers feel safe and able to maintain social distancing as far as possible.
- We have swapped buses to ensure that all drivers' cabs are protected with screens.
Our enhanced cleaning regime
- We’ve introduced further cleaning to ensure all frequently touched areas, such as bells and hand-poles, are regularly sanitised to reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading.
- We already have extensive cleaning programmes in place for all of our buses each evening and a fantastic team of cleaners who maintain all our vehicles to high standards every day.
- We're also protecting our employees in depots and drivers' cabs, with regular sanitising of these areas and supplying anti-bacterial hand sanitiser to all front-line employees.
- If you must travel, we have swapped all buses to ensure that if you have to pay by cash, you must drop the exact change in the hoppers - none of our services will give change. We strongly encourage you to pay for your travel by contactless, smartcard or by using our mobile app instead of cash to help limit the potential spread of the virus.
- We’re reiterating Public Health England’s best practice guidance on hand-washing and hygiene to all our employees.
- Obviously, the safety of our employees and customers are of vital importance to us, so you can be sure that we are doing our utmost to keep you all safe and healthy.
keeping you informed
If it is essential for you to travel, check first and plan ahead using our app or website as service levels may change as the situation progresses. Keep up-to-date with the latest service information.
- This web page, and the Reading Buses home page will be regularly updated
- For latest updates, follow us on social media
- You can plan a journey with the Reading Buses app or website – but please note that the electronic information may not be able to be updated as speedily as other online information so please check the website as well before you travel.
- Sign up for our email updates.
- Our bus shop has been closed due to the latest government restrictions on non-food retail. We are still available through our customer services team.
getting the travel you paid for
If you are self-isolating or not travelling due to coronavirus restrictions you can apply for a refund or an exchange here.
If you feel unwell, please follow NHS guidelines on self-isolating and do not travel.
We appreciate your patience during this challenging time, and recommend that if anyone has any concerns regarding their health, to follow the official advice which can be found at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus